Thursday, July 30, 2009

Lean not unto thine own understanding.....














Last Saturday I had the opportunity to go the Temple to perform baptisms with my ward family. It was a great and satisfying day. While I was waiting to change I had the opportunity to visit with Desi and we talked about our lives and a little about our struggles. In talking with her I found we had a lot in common with giving all our hearts and not getting all of it back in return. She gave me a scripture to ponder and it is one that has given her the extra push she needs to make it though each day. It is found in the Book Of Mormon.

Alma 36:3
"And now, O my son Helaman, behold, thou art in thy youth, and therefore, I beseech of thee that thou wilt hear my words and learn of me; for I do know that whosoever shall put their trust in God shall be supported in their trials, and their troubles, and their afflictions, and shall be lifted up at the last day."

This scripture has become MY strength the last couple of days. It has been a source of comfort and has been testimony to me that the Lord is aware of us and LOVES US! He truly does! When Sunday approached and I attended Gospel Doctrine class the lesson was on Purpose, Afflictions and Promises. The scripture that Kami (she gave the lesson) put on the chalk board was.... ta-da.... Alma 36:3. I looked to Desi and she winked. The Lord knows of our needs and gives us the tools and friends we need to meet to make it through each day.

As I try to continue in my own progression I look around at those who I have come to know and wonder why they seem to be progressing farther or in different paths then myself. I had a dream the other night, I was running with lots of people.... maybe a marathon or something. Not sure exactly {I am not much of a runner so it was a strange dream ;) }
I was keeping up with everyone, trying to keep at the front of the pack. Soon enough everyone was flying by me. I started digging and trying my hardest to keep up but it was NOT happening. My legs were burning, I was sweating up a storm and I could hardly breath.





Sure enough I looked down and I was on a treadmill and everyone else was heading to the finish line. It was bizarre, but when I talked to my mom about it later.... she said she thinks it is because I feel like everyone else is getting farther ahead of me in life and I am trying to keep up with, but just can't. It's situations like these that I find strength and comfort and hope in the scriptures, on my knees, and at the Temple. The Lord gives us tools to get through the trials, because he wants us to draw closer to him and to rely on him. I don't know why I think I can do it on my own.

2 comments:

  1. Sydney, I just found your blog and your post and I just loved what you wrote. I think we must all feel this way sometimes, because I feel like this with different aspects of my life. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts today. It made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Syd! I love you and how you are always willing to share your testimony of different things with who ever needs it! You are such a great girl and did I mention that I love you!!! How are you doing? What have you been up to?

    ReplyDelete